Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did I commit libel, slander, defamation of character in my letter?? Virginia

2 posters

Go down

Did I commit libel, slander, defamation of character in my letter?? Virginia Empty Did I commit libel, slander, defamation of character in my letter?? Virginia

Post  Verryberry Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:13 am

This is a letter I wrote to my bosses' boss, to which I never got a reply (not illegal, I know). I was wondering if I wrote anything that could be used against me in terms of defamation of my boss. I would like to blame my poor punctuation on the fact that I wrote this two hours after I got fired and was highly emotional but the real reason is I suck at punctuation, so please be easy on me in that respect........

Hi Deloris;

Well, I'm sorry that I had to be let go and I do appreciate you giving me a chance with XYZ inc. Although I do feel I wasn't given a fair chance, I can appreciate the fact that with Kelly being my supervisor it is important that she approves of me.

I must say though that I feel Kelly has been less than accepting toward me. It seemed as though she wanted nothing to do with training me or even delegating someone to help with training me. That day you came and helped me was the only time I was shadowed at the computer and even then she wanted to pull you to do other duties.

One day at a staff meeting I asked her if she could have someone work with me one-on-one and she said something about she couldn't do it because she wasn't sure of everything herself and asked if I would mind if Jennifer came to do it (which never happened by the way) then later she had a meeting with me and told me I wasn't being proactive in my own training. I truly feel that with the lack of directed, overseen training- I had come a long way.

She had an issue with me taking notes but my reasoning was that I was trying to make a mentor being that I didn't have one. My notes were to be my point of reference until I remembered the steps. Since I didn't have anyone to shadow one-on-one. To me that was being proactive and self-sufficient.

I also wonder if my race was a factor- when I got there I asked Brandy and Lilly if we clocked out when we left the building for lunch and they said no, we don't. Kelley approves the time sheet and knows when we step out. Yet Kelley told me at the end of Oct that we are supposed to clock out when we leave the building and even said she would bring that up in the staff meeting but she never did. So basically that showed me that she only expected me to clock out for lunch and no one else.

Anyway, one truism for me in life is that things happen for a reason but I just wanted to let you know that to me Kelley's professionalism has been very questionable - to include her demeanor and attitude.

So Deloris, I would like to ask you a question and would appreciate your honest feedback and answer to this- could I use you as a reference on job applications?

Thank you,

....the other two employees that I asked if they had to clock out when they left grounds for lunch were of my same job title, not of my same race.

I was fired by Kelley after about 25 days, it was her boss that hired me(the one I wrote this letter to). "At will" was cited as the reason by Kelley.

Kelley is my direct boss- Center Manager

Deloris is my regional boss-District Manager

All names have been changed.

Verryberry

Back to top Go down

Did I commit libel, slander, defamation of character in my letter?? Virginia Empty Re: Did I commit libel, slander, defamation of character in my letter?? Virginia

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:20 pm

No it is not libel, unless you know its false, wrote it with malice intent, and the false accusation caused a damage.
JoeC
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down