Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Not allowed" a 2nd job - VERMONT

2 posters

Go down

"Not allowed" a 2nd job - VERMONT Empty "Not allowed" a 2nd job - VERMONT

Post  Ransik Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am

I am a part-time employee in a call center in Vermont. I was recently given the opportunity to work a 2nd part-time job and jumped at the opportunity. I spoke to my boss and was told "if you want to take that job for Friday and Saturday than I will write in your 2 week notice because we will not under any circumstances allow you to work at another job that interferes with our schedule."

Now from the dozens of people I've spoken to, they are NOT allowed to tell me that. There are over 150 people employed there at present and several of them work other jobs and never have had an issue about it. Two women even get Saturdays off to go visit their abusive boyfriends in jail!

After I was told no by my manager, I went over her head to the second man in charge... he asked me if I was listed as a part-time employee. When I told him yes and repeated what his underling told me, he thought I was lying because he couldn't believe she would tell me that. So... he told me to go to the third person in charge (his wife) and get things fixed. I had a third meeting with her... she told me I "wasn't allowed" to get another job as well because it interfered with their scheduling.... but then told me company policy is that if you need an availability change, you MUST work one weekend day. So... I'm thinking great... cause I need Friday and Saturday.

2 weeks later... I've had to call out both Saturdays because they give me Friday off and not Saturday.

Now I even brought up that I would gladly take full-time status with the vacation hours and sick hours.... was told "no we only give 2 people a year full-time status. Now here is what REALLY gets me... 95% of the employees there are listed as part-time but are being made to work 6 or 7 days a week at over 60 hours a week and told to deal with it or be fired. One employee lost his step-dad 2 weekends ago and was told since he was on attendance probation that if he took any time off or went to the funeral they would fire him on the spot!

Now seriously... I cannot for one minute believe any employer is allowed to tell an employee they must revolve their life around their job. And I know... I should get another job, but I've had some serious knee problems the last 4 months and I'm not sure if I would be able to be on my feet all day long without ending up in the ER. I love my current job... but enough is enough. As a part-time employee receiving no benefits I am not going to be told to work more hours per week than management nor am I going to be told I'm not allowed to get another job because they won't give me full-time status.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Ransik

Back to top Go down

"Not allowed" a 2nd job - VERMONT Empty Re: "Not allowed" a 2nd job - VERMONT

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:43 am

Talk to an attorney there could be a public policy violation or something along that line. Also in law there are "torts" known as invasion of privacy (for snooping on employees after hours) and Intentional interference with a contractual relations. Since you disclosed to the employer then there is no invasion of privacy, Intentional interference with a contractual relations you have to establish a contract exists. So you can see the hurdles.
JoeC

Last edited by JoeC (McGruff) on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ransik Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:51 am

I dunno why, but I didn't understand any of that. lol

Ransik

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 am

Basically there is a slim chance there may be a case, but only an attorney can clarify.
JoeC
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down