Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I request "Right to sue" letter prior to conclusion of investigation..?

2 posters

Go down

Can I request "Right to sue" letter prior to conclusion of investigation..? Empty Can I request "Right to sue" letter prior to conclusion of investigation..?

Post  sunniedayz2008 Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:51 am

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm just curious...I have filed a complaint with EEOC against the former contractor who terminated due to my pregnancy. I filed the complaint back in February after being terminated in January. I was in touch with them (EEOC) pretty frequently but was told on a few occasions that there was a backlog and it may take some time before my case is assigned to an investigator.

Question My question is this - Can I request a Right to Sue letter from EEOC although my case has not yet been assigned to an investigator?

If so, does it account for anything? Meaning, would the Right to Sue letter hold any weight? (I figure no)

I have been in touch with an attorney who is willing to take my case on a contingency basis but I'm not sure if I should wait until EEOC finishes their investigation or go forward with the attorney?

I was employed in Washington, DC and the contractor's office was located in Maryland. Neutral

If I need to provide additional information, I can do so, I just didn't want to bore anyone with a long drawn out story.

Thanks in advance for any responses you can provide.... Wink

sunniedayz2008

Back to top Go down

Can I request "Right to sue" letter prior to conclusion of investigation..? Empty Re: Can I request "Right to sue" letter prior to conclusion of investigation..?

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Ask the attorney first but for me ask for a right to sue letter then hand it over to the attorney especially if he is willing to do it on a contingency fee arrangement. Only a court process will get the employer's attention. All administrative remedies are limited and the agencies have little interest in pursuing a claim apart from minimal investigation. I strongly recommend talking to the attorney and opting out of the EEOC with the right to sue letter.
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down