Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pyett Arbitration Case.

2 posters

Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty Pyett Arbitration Case.

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:31 am

U.S Supreme Court heard oral argument today in 14 Penn Plaza, Inc. v. Pyett, which poses the question whether the 2nd Circuit was correct that a union cannot waive the right of unionized employees to have their employment discrimination claims heard in a judicial forum in favor of arbitration.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/07-581.pdf

This is an interesting issue, but of course does nothing on the broader issue of non union employers insisting on the arbitration of all employment claims. It is not uncommon for employers to require employees to sign an agreement to arbitrate and those agreements have been upheld. Currently, in the state of WA the WA courts permit adjudication of discrimination claims regardless of whether the CBA has an antidiscrimination clause in it.

JoeC

Last edited by JoeC (McGruff) on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty Analysis

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Paul M. Secunda Associate Professor of Law Marquette Univ. Law School breaks it down.
Here are some highlights and my thoughts (Paul M. Secunda) on the oral argument transcript:

1. The argument of company's counsel gets bogged down from the beginning over whether an individual may arbitrate the claim without the union if the union doesn't want to arbitrate the claim itself:

[Penn Plaza's Counsel]: But what the New York courts have said is in interpreting this clause over the last nine years, that they compel the individual union member to go to arbitration when they have brought claims in court in violation of this clause.

Justices Souter and Ginsburg want to know from the company counsel why ceding control over the type of forum to the union is not tantamount to ceding control over the entire statutory claim to the union given the language of the CBA. Justice Scalia helps counsel argue that if the individual loses the right to arbitration because the union has control over whether to arbitrate, the parties can fight over that separate issue on remand:

Could we not simply decide that the Second Circuit was either correct, in which case the case would be over, or incorrect to say that you -- that you -- you cannot -- you cannot in a collective bargaining agreement have the union responsible for arbitration of Title VII claims? Why couldn't we just decide that?

And then if there is any issue of whether such concession to the union deprives an individual of even the right to arbitration, that can -- that can be decided on remand by the Second Circuit, couldn't it?

2. Justice Breyer wants to know why the union should have the last say over whether the employee can bring their claim in court when the EEOC administrative process generally allows individuals to decide for themselves whether to proceed to court after receiving a right to sue letter:

It seems to me there is a parallel here that Congress then wouldn't want the union and the employer together to be able to cut that right to sue off, at least not very easily.

3. Justice Ginsburg is skeptical that the labor laws giving unions the exclusive rights to bargain over term and conditions of employment alters the analysis:

But the union could not bargain about these anti-discrimination rights. These are rights given to individuals by Congress. The union couldn't bargain about them the way it bargains about collective rights, the way it bargains about wages and hours and -- and other things. This is, this is not a bargainable right. This is a right Congress says you as an individual have a right not to be discriminated against. This is nothing that the union can bargain about.

Company counsel argues in rebuttal that what Justice Ginsburg says is true with regard to substantive rights, but not to procedural ones. It appears to me that really what this debate boils down to is whether the arbitration procedure provides the same protections for employees in employment discrimination case as the judicial forum does. There are reasons to believe not, given such things as the repeat player problem, lack of elaborated reasons for most decisions, lack of publication for future precedent (which goes to transparency and accountabilty), and the fact that many employees engage in arbitration without counsel. There is also a contention here between the parties about who pays for the abritration if the union bows out of the proceedings.

4. If I were counsel for Pyett, I would also point out that the 2002 Waffle House decision recognizes the public and the private interests vindicated by Title VII and point out that employees are not merely seeking make whole relief for themselves, but are also seeking to vindicate the interests of society in having discrimination-free workplaces. It appears that the arbitration process undermines these goals where individuals have not themselves voluntarily entered into an agreement, but are forced into one by their union.

I wish Pyett's counsel would have used this line of argument in response to this questioning from Justice Breyer:

JUSTICE BREYER: . . . .So if I decide for you in this case, am I also saying that they can't arbitrate ordinary tort suits or contract suits or just whether or not the workplace which is made of wood is filled with termites? I mean, you know?
MR. FREDERICK: I think, Justice Breyer, that the discrimination cases do stand in a different category because of the inherent conflict [between union and worker].

5. In response to a question by Justice Stevens, company counsel argues that Gardner-Denver does not necessarily decide this case because:

that case didn't involve the enforceability of an agreement to arbitrate. The Gardner-Denver line of cases, McDonald and Barrentine and Gardner-Denver, had the quite different issue as this Court said in Gilmer, of whether a contract-based claim precludes subsequent judicial resolution of a statutory claim; and so that distinguishes the rule.

6. Pyett's counsel contends there are three reasons why the 2nd Circuit decision denying enforceability to these abritration clauses should be affirmed:

First, a collective bargaining agreement gives the union exclusive control over workers' grievances. Second, unions have inherent conflicts of interest with respect to individual statutory anti-discrimination rights; and third, unions lack authority to serve as gatekeepers of individual workers' substantive ADEA rights.

Counsel further focuses his argument on whether "there is actual consent by the individual to the arbitration, whether the individual has control over the mechanisms of arbitration, and whether or not the structure of the arbitral forum effectively vindicates the individual's substantive rights."

7. The inability of Pyett's Counsel to satisfactorily answer the line drawing exercise over what can be arbitrated and what cannot is seemingly exasperating the Justices. This from Justice Scalia:

Why is it unthinkable that the -- that the employee would have to go through the union-prescribed arbitration for the fact that he wasn't paid for the last three months but does not have to do it for an economic injury that occurs because of discrimination? . . .

[Pyett's Counsel]: . . . [I]n the discrimination context, you're talking about more than just money. Here my clients are older workers who are forced into more physically strenuous positions that they had gotten away from by virtue of their growth in seniority at the building.

My sense is that this not convincing the Justices and that the public/private purpose distinction of Waffle House would have been more persuasive. The Solicitor General, supporting Pyett, makes this alternative argument:

I think that the -- the best line that we have is -- is stated in both Gardner-Denver and Barrentine as contrasting statutory rights that are related to collective activity, and especially economic activity, are the kinds of things that are normally delegated to the union. Those are the sorts of things that the union can actually engage in collective bargaining about. And when the union negotiates the underlying right, then it makes perfect sense that the labor arbitration framework that's set forth here would continue to resolve disputes that are arising under --out of that specific right.

8. Here's something I didn't know and not sure I agree with what counsel for Pyett is peddling:

There is a study that is cited in a footnote in one of the amicus briefs that arbitration is more expensive than bringing civil litigation.

Really??!! And here I thought one of the traditional advantages of arbitration over litigation was the expense associated with litigation. Maybe that's less the case in unionized workplaces?

In all, the case really comes down to whether unions can force workers to arbitrate their individual statutory rights under employment discrimination law. I believe firmly then answer should be "no," but I definitely do not see Roberts, Scalia, and Thomas going that way. On the other hand, Alito and Kennedy may be more amenable and so I am (hopefully) predicting 6-3 in favor of respondent. (If I am wrong - it will be 5-4 in favor of petitioner with Kennedy or Alito writing an opinion that allows for such union-forced waivers at least in some circumstances).

Paul M. Secunda
Associate Professor of Law
Marquette Univ. Law School
E-Mail paul.secunda@marquette.edu

Posted by JoeC (McGruff) with the consent of Paul M. Secunda
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty My Thoughts

Post  Eric Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:11 am

In the context of private contracts for employment that are entered into directly between individual employers and employees I would tend to think that mandatory arbitration clauses that limit the employees right to sue for statutory rights as being similar to yellow dog contracts of the past that required a new employee to pledge, as a condition of employment, that he would never join a union. Illegal in one context and I believe that employers requiring new employees to sign mandatory arbitration clauses limiting employees rights to sue civilly ought to be equally illegal.
I cannot in good conscious reach the conclusion that the bargaining power between an employee and employer are equal or can I agree with the positions that a prospective employee is free to negotiate an alternate agreement, or find different employment, as a defense to the imposition of these clauses into employment agreements.
It is not hard to foresee that whole industries will proffer employment agreements that require binding arbitration of all disputes arising out of discrimination claims while maintaining a right for the employer to fire an employee at will. These types of agreements should either be severed from the relationship, if other contractual rights exist, or be deemed unenforceable in their entirety.
In my opinion if an employer insists on an agreement that the employee arbitrate all employment discrimination claims then that employer has surrendered his right to an employment at will relationship and thereby has entered into an agreement that will only allow him to dismiss the employee for cause. You can’t have your cake and eat it too, and neither should an employer who, for all intents and purposes, is executing a contract of adhesion in these circumstances.

As for an employee losing his right to sue for discrimination in favor of a mandatory arbitration procedure in a union environment I find the argument for this limitation rather specious.

If the union does not create the right during collective bargaining then the right is not arbitral. If a statutory right as important as employment discrimination is impinged upon then the employee should not have to rely on a union as the sole determiner of whether or not his claim goes to arbitration, which is the law in the employer union universe. There is too much of a possibility of collusion between the union leadership and the company in a quid pro quo ante relationship to require employees to arbitrate their discrimination claims rather than having thier due process rights honored. Congress did not intend this result and I am pretty sure that they will act if the Court decides this case in favor of the mandatory arbitration camp.

These are just some of my gut reactions. I might change some of my opinions on these issues as time goes on, but I seriously doubt it.

Eric
Eric
Eric
Attorney
Attorney

Back to top Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty Supreme court waters down Gardner- Denver

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 pm

The decision is in looks like the legislature will have to correct this decision:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/07-581.pdf
The decision in short:
First, the arbitration provision must clearly and unmistakably require the arbitration of statutory claims. The clause at issue in 14 Penn Plaza specifically listed claims arising under the ADEA as among those that were mandated for arbitration.

Second, the majority indicated that judicial review of arbitration awards was sufficient to ensure arbitrators comply with the law. This represents something of a change and may expand the deference accorded to arbitration awards accorded by the courts and the National Labor Relations Board.

Third, given the majority’s treatment of Gardner-Denver in situations in which the labor contract does not require arbitration of statutory claims, the courts may nevertheless give an arbitration award greater weight than has been given to such awards in the past when an employee loses in arbitration and subsequently sues for discrimination.

The dissent argued that Gardner-Denver is directly on point, because it held squarely that the rights conferred by antidiscrimination statutes -- including the right to sue for enforcement -- cannot be waived by a union. The majority's narrow reading of the case -- as holding only that arbitration was not preclusive because the arbitration clause did not cover statutory claims -- is wrong; it was only one of many reasons the Gardner-Denver Court gave for its holding, and the Pyett majority ignores those reasons.

I agree with the dissent, suprisingly Thomas wrote the majority opinion, he was head of the EEOC for a while he should have known better.
JoeC (McGruff)

Last edited by JoeC (McGruff) on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 am; edited 2 times in total
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty Contractually mandated Arbitral preemption in statutory claims

Post  Eric Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Joe,

From the case reading I did in order to write my journal note I came to the conclusion that judical preemption of arbitration in employee contract law made a sea change when the Supreme Court in Curcuit City declared that the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 applied to arbitration in employment contracts.
The language in the Act explicitly exempted binding arbitration in transportation industry, which the Court in Curcuit City acknowledged, but implicitly exempted arbitration in all employment contexts.
The Court overturned almost 75 years of precedent by agreeing that Section 301 of the LMRA preempted the the implicit nature of the FAA exception.
The reasons for judical nullification of arbitration in the employment context are
1) the award was procured by corruption fraud or undue means, 2) the arbitrator was guilty of evident partiality, 3) the arbitrator refused to postpone the hearing , upon sufficient cause shown, 4) the arbitrator refused to hear evidence pertinent and material to the controversy, 5) the arbitrator engaged in misbehavior prejudicial to the rights of a party and, 6) the arbitrator exceeded his or her power or so imperfectly executed them that a final and definite award was not made

I dont see anything about assigninment of a statutory claim to a third party. I'm stumped, as are you.

I am going to read the opinion opinion you cited. Someone sent it to me a couple of weeks ago but I was too busy to read it.

Eric
Eric
Eric
Attorney
Attorney

Back to top Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty Read the case

Post  Eric Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 am

Congress is going to have to step In. just like they did in 08 in ADAA H, and the Ledbetter case.

what a tortured analysis by Thomas

Eric
Eric
Eric
Attorney
Attorney

Back to top Go down

Pyett Arbitration Case. Empty Re: Pyett Arbitration Case.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down