Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Okay Moderators...try this one on for size.

3 posters

Go down

Okay Moderators...try this one on for size. Empty Okay Moderators...try this one on for size.

Post  bears00 Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:03 am

At some point in the future, I will delete this thread. At my current place of business, the parking garage (where I must park for work) is VERY UNSAFE.....let's just say multiple rapes, thefts, and car-jackings in the last year.

Here is the situation. My office is located on the ground floor of said parking garage. The garage is owned by the city, but the office is under the control and direction of the company. I have a weapon, and a concealed carry license. WE DO NOT HAVE A POLICY AGAINST WEAPONS. In fact, the only mention of weapons is to prohibit the "display of weapons" under our Workplace Violence Policy.

Would you deem it to be a violation of public policy if the company decided to terminate me for carrying a concealed weapon (IF I ever carried it into work, and IF they found out)? Here is my position:
1. I work on PUBLIC PROPERTY. We repeat it over and over to guests how we are not responsible for what happens to them or their cars in the parking garage because they are on public property.
2. There is no policy against the legal carrying of a weapon.
3. The handbook only forbids the "display" of a weapon, and not its actual possession.
4. I am legal, registered owner of the weapon, and have a license to carry it concealed.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
bears00
bears00

http://www.myspace.com/anitrachapel

Back to top Go down

Okay Moderators...try this one on for size. Empty Re: Okay Moderators...try this one on for size.

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:37 am

Well this was a hot issue in Oklahoma, I cant find it but ScottB (on a different website) had a debate on this ,and he made a very persuasive argument for the right to carry.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0812/p01s02-ussc.html
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Okay Moderators...try this one on for size. Empty Re: Okay Moderators...try this one on for size.

Post  Mr. Pink Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:45 am

*PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE*

Difficult argument to make. As you may be aware, Florida recently modified its conceal carry law to specifically prohibit employers from denying employees the right to keep a weapon in the employee's vehicle in the company's parking lot. From the employer perspective, they would argue that allowing employees to carry concealed weapons creates an untenable workplace environment. Safety is compromised if employees are carrying weapons. If the employer knew that you had a weapon and did not do anything about it, what would the employer's liability be if you shot another employee? A patron to the parking garage? Speculative? yes. But no more so than the public policy argument.

Just my thoughts.

Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Good Fellow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum