Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan

4 posters

Go down

layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan Empty layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan

Post  jmm4101 Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi. I am a dispatcher for a city 911 center. I will try to make this as short as possible. The whole 911 center, 27 people , just got layoff notices. They claim that they are going to restructure the 911 center..as in laying us off but bring us back under a different class. and different pay rate and make 1/2 of us part time employees with no benefits. We are under a contract right now and our union is filing a grievance . Is this legal can they do this with us still being under a contract. We would gladly accept any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

jmm4101

Back to top Go down

layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan Empty sounds fishy

Post  Eric Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Since the employer is going to be doing substantially the same business with the same employees in the same place I don't think they will be able to get away with the change since you are already under contract.

If the contract was expiring the employer would have to bargain in good faith over the changes they contemplate. Even if they were to impose those changes the employer would have to bargain over the effects of the changes on the bargaining unit employees.

Sounds really fishy to me. I'm guessing that your union will win the arbitration, if it even gets that far.

Eric
Eric
Eric
Attorney
Attorney

Back to top Go down

layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan Empty Re: layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan

Post  bears00 Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 am

If everything is as you say it is here, they may win the battle, BUT THEY WILL NOT WIN THE WAR. This is a no-brainer. If the "business" were closing, they might have a case, but I can't see a 911 office closing. That would be like laying off all police officers, fire fighters, etc.
bears00
bears00

http://www.myspace.com/anitrachapel

Back to top Go down

layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan Empty Re: layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:00 am

Could be a power play to raise taxes as well. Municipal government is notorious for threatening a reduction in vital services to increase taxes.
JoeC
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

layoffs in public safety fire dept. Michigan Empty upon further consideration

Post  Eric Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:23 pm

In the public employment context courts usually give great deference to government entities to outsource a job or collection of jobs in order to serve the public interest.

I think we will be seeing more and more of this as municipalities comes under increasing pressure from the loss of tax base due to the economic collapse that we are experiencing.

One thing we have to remain cognizant of. Courts consistently find a way to satisfy the interests of "public policy" in developing case law.
I don’t mean to say that I think the municipality in this instance will be able to breach the employment contract that exists in the workplace. I’m just saying that it is not all that much of a slam dunk.

Eric
Eric
Eric
Attorney
Attorney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down