Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida

2 posters

Go down

Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida Empty Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida

Post  SmokinGun Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:19 pm

I am a I.T. employee for the county in a state building. I report to a state manager, but technically I don't work for her as I'm a county employee. My job is to provide this office with I.T. services.

My manager recently told me it was now my responsibility to do inventory of the building, counting furniture, etc. She recently laid off 5 people one of whom did this before. I said "I will do whatever is within my job description, but if something falls outside of that we need to have a discussion about it." She said "There might not be any discussion" and stormed off.

I don't mind doing it, but this is one of a long string of things this manager keeps trying to mess with me about. Entering in a door down the hall from the main one (which I don't do anymore), accusing me of coming in late (which I don't do), accusing me of being out too often (which I don't do), not getting along with coworkers (which I do and have 4 written statements submitted to my personnel file from them saying so), have been other things she has messed with me about in the past. She honestly doesn't even need anyone to do this, it's just her trying to see what she can make me do. It would literally take 4 hours max to do it. If she asked me to do it as a favor I'd do it no questions asked, but she keeps presenting things as if I have no choice but to comply. She also has numerous other problems with others in the office.

If I refuse to take on this additional responsibility, can I be fired? I wrote my county HR department once via email a week ago and they ignored me.
SmokinGun
SmokinGun
Good Fellow

Back to top Go down

Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida Empty Re: Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:35 pm

I read your post on another website where your post was locked by the Nazi Cathy Bannon (a.k.a cbg), where posters were saying you can be fired at will for arguing with your boss about your job duties. Lets dispatch that bullshit first of all,Government employees: Federal, state and local government workers are protected by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments, which prohibit the government from depriving any person of "life, liberty or property" without due process of law. These employees are considered to have a property interest in their jobs, and the right to due process places significant restrictions on arbitrary dismissals unrelated to job performance. Some additional protection is provided by federal, state and local civil service laws.

That does not give you Cart Blanche to insubordination of course. In general the employer can give you assignments outside of your job description,as long as your benefits,and salary remain unchanged.

Since you are a civil service employee you should be able to make a complaint internally with no repercussions. As far as refusing to do the work for the supervisor. This could be viewed as insubordination and give rise to disciplinary action. If you are dismissed for using the internal procedure this could give rise to litigation. Use the internal complaint procedure outlined in your hand book. If the employer cut your pay while telling you to do other duties then contact an attorney.
JoeC
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down