Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hilda Solis confirmation.

2 posters

Go down

Hilda Solis confirmation. Empty Hilda Solis confirmation.

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Why hasn’t Hilda Solis been confirmed as Labor Secretary yet, and why haven’t we heard from the unions or from the Obama administration about it?

Bad Ju-Ju's efforts to hold up Solis could be a first shot in the larger coming war over the Employee Free Choice Act, a top labor priority. I hope that the Obama administration’s refusal to make an issue of the hold-up on Solis is not a sign that the Obama team won’t act aggressively on Employee Free Choice.
JoeC (McGruff)

Last edited by JoeC (McGruff) on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hilda Solis confirmation. Empty Re: Hilda Solis confirmation.

Post  Mr. Pink Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 am

Don't you mean isn't a sign?

"I hope that it isn't a sign that the Obama team won't act aggressively on EFCA?"

Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Good Fellow

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:46 am

Yep that's what I mean Mr. Pink. Sorry for the confusion. Now that it is corrected what is your opinion?
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pink Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:39 am

My opinion of Soltis as the Secretary of Labor? I think that she is qualified and should be confirmed.

My opinion of why she has not had a confirmation hearing? That's a good question. I think, in my opinion, that Obama was looking for bi-partisan support for the stimulus bill, and probably thought that trying to get her confirmed at the same time would alienate some republicans. As we saw though, he received no republican support. Thus, I think we will see her on the agenda rather quickly.

My opinion of EFCA? I'm not a big fan. I would be the first to admit that the NLRA has some serious problems, and that the law is tilted too far in favor of employers. However, I don't think that EFCA is a good solution.

Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Good Fellow

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:15 am

Thats interesting take you may be right about the Solis confirmation. What is some what disappointing is the Democrats control both houses there should not be a lot of trouble confirming the secretary. The Republicans had no problem with the treasury secretary confirmation, he had some past tax problems, yet this one is lagging.
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:47 pm

The committee delay on Hilda Solis' nomination as Secretary of Labor is now over after she provided an affidavit showing that her association with American Rights at Work presented no conflict of interest with her role in the House. The committee approved her on voice vote, with two members voting no. Her nomination now moves to the full Senate.
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hilda Solis confirmation. Empty Good news

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:36 am

Today, the Senate confirmed Hilda Solis as labor secretary by a vote of 80-17. The margin really shows that the opposition had been somewhat deep, but not particularly broad. Good news for the Department of Labor today as they've now got their number 1 and number 2 officials in place.
We may see somthing from the DOL. Solis suports the E.F.C.A.
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down