Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now this guy is a Lawyer, if I ever got injuerd this would be my first choice.

Go down

Now this guy is a Lawyer, if I ever got injuerd this would be my first choice. Empty Now this guy is a Lawyer, if I ever got injuerd this would be my first choice.

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:07 am

George J. Cahill, Jr., is a fourth-generation railroad worker. During his high school days George began working summer jobs on the New Haven Railroad as a clerk, trackman, laborer, and caboose inspector. In 1968 he volunteered for the United States Marine Corps and was trained at Parris Island and Cape LeJune. From 1968 to 1970 George served as a corporal in the Marines, including a tour of duty in the Republic of Vietnam as a combat rifleman where he was awarded a Purple Heart. After the Marines George returned to work full-time on the Railroad while also attending college and law school.

During his college years, George worked for the Penn Central in the New Haven crew callers office, as a block operator at Devon Tower, a brakeman at the New Haven East Class Yard, a skate man at the New Haven Eastbound Hump, a road freight brakeman on jobs to Selkirk and Maybrook, and then as a passenger trainman on the New Haven Shoreline Division. In his spare time George was an amateur boxer with over 60 fights in AAU matches and in the New York City and Massachusetts Golden Glove tournaments. In 1973 he was selected for a national AAU team as a middleweight.

While in law school George continued working on the Railroad. He worked on a local freight at night from Framingham to Lowell and then started working as a passenger trainman on the Franklin and Needham branches during the weekdays. On the weekends he also worked as a Conductor on the mainline from South Station to Penn Station in New York City. During George’s first years as an attorney from 1977 to 1978, he continued working as a passenger conductor on Conrail's Metropolitan Region between New Haven and Grand Central Terminal.

George’s career as a railroad employee ended on November 9, 1978. That was the day he won a federal court FELA (Federal Employers' Liability Act) jury verdict of $600,000 against Conrail on behalf of a fellow Conrail conductor. That night George worked his usual conductor job between New Haven and GCT with his co-workers celebrating his great victory (the $600,000 verdict was record-breaking at that time). The next morning he received a call from Conrail's General Superintendent informing George that he was fired for "disloyalty." The Superintendent told George that Conrail's top managers in Philadelphia were almost more upset about the fact he earned his $60 in conductor wages during that night of celebration than the $600,000 verdict Conrail would have to pay.

In his first two years as a practicing attorney George had a general practice. However, after that 1978 verdict and the establishment of the firm Cahill & Goetsch with his partner Charlie Goetsch, the firm has continued to successfully protect the rights of railroad workers.

http://trainlaw.com/html/about_bios.html
Semper Fi
JoeC(McGruff)
Now this guy is a Lawyer, if I ever got injuerd this would be my first choice. 9725469_400x400
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down