Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hazard pay Massachusetts

3 posters

Go down

hazard pay Massachusetts Empty hazard pay Massachusetts

Post  mcirrinc Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:14 pm

I have been working at a window restoration company for the past year and am exposed to lead paint on a daily basis. Seven months ago myself and the other employees who work with me underwent a lead training seminar and underwent blood tests to make sure the level of lead in our blood was not too high. Our boss only began requiring us to wear breathing masks but did not change the personal safety protocol beyond that, and he promised us a hazard pay raise. Now, seven months later, he has told us that he is giving us a 40 cent raise for every 10 dollars we make, which basically means that not a single one of us workers will be getting more than 60 or so cents as a hazard pay raise.

This to me does not seem at all like an adequate raise for someone who is continually exposed to lead. Does anyone know of how I could get more information on how hazard pay is determined or what recourse I have if I think I am in an unsafe environment and not being adequately compensated?

Thanks!

mcirrinc

Back to top Go down

hazard pay Massachusetts Empty Re: hazard pay Massachusetts

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:25 pm

I will let someone else answer the lead safety requirements. Hazardous pay or dirty pay is set out in union contracts. You and your co-workers will have to either form or join a union to receive it. Most contracts call for time and half for dirty pay or hazardous location pay. The contract dictates what is hazardous or dirty. Massachusetts has favorable state laws for forming or joining a union.
JoeC
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Except for my time in the Navy I personally have never heard of hazardous duty pay in the private sector so I can be of no help there.

I'm not very experienced with lead issues as is doesn't come up too much in my line of work but you should start here;

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10641

Back to top Go down

Post  bears00 Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:43 am

I have heard of hazard pay in the private sector; however, each one of my recollections has a union involved.

Unfortunately, my actual experience with lead issues are NONE, but I do have some limited knowledge. Do you know if an exposure assessment has been conducted?
bears00
bears00

http://www.myspace.com/anitrachapel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down