Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward Churchill One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld

2 posters

Go down

Ward Churchill  One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld Empty Ward Churchill One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Earlier this year, Ward Churchill won his claim that his termination violated the First Amendment--but he received only $1 in damages. Today, a judge upheld that award. According to the New York Times. Case: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/download/2009/0707/19981675.pdf

Chief Judge Larry J. Naves of Denver District Court ruled that the university’s regents were effectively acting as judicial officers when they voted to dismiss Mr. Churchill in 2007 after a faculty committee concluded that he had committed academic fraud. As a result, Judge Naves found, the regents were legally protected from Mr. Churchill’s effort to reverse their ruling.

Churchill is a scum bag lets be clear, the ethnic studies professor, caused an uproar when he referred in an essay to victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks as “little Eichmanns,” and argued that that was the true reason he was terminated. Prior to that he encouraged student's to break private property during so called non-violent civil protests.

If you hear him on T.V he is probably the most unlikable person you will ever hear, his head is stuck back in the 60's some place, and he yearns for the days of riots and bombings associated with that era. A poster child for whats wrong with tenor,and how it holds on to dead wood and dead Ideas. He is a regular academic clown who never held a real job, and the only world he knows is academia where he can run around and act like a jerk.

He filed a wrongful-termination suit, and after a trial earlier this year, a jury found that his political views played a substantial role in his dismissal. But in his 42-page ruling, Judge Naves said the jury’s decision to award Mr. Churchill only $1 compelled him to deny reinstatement.

“If I am required to enter an order that is ‘consistent with the jury’s findings,’ I cannot order a remedy that ‘disregards the jury’s implicit finding’ that Professor Churchill has suffered no actual damages that an award of reinstatement would prospectively remedy,” Judge Naves wrote. Judge Naves also said that Mr. Churchill’s rejection of the faculty committee’s conclusion that he had engaged in academic misconduct had made it difficult to return Mr. Churchill to campus.
I haven't read the decision, but equating university regents to judicial officers definitely catches my attention. I don't know how they do things in Colorado, but most regents I'm aware of are nothing close to judges.

I am happy with the award since the School did fire the guy for his protected views, and I am happy with the remedy since his views are not worth more than a buck. Churchill's was shooting for a court ordered reinstatement he didn't get it. Now this old prick will learn a few lessons himself such as what actual employees have to do to earn money, and maybe destroying their cars at riots might not have been a good idea. He will learn when he passes himself off as an Indian with his obvious European features that his co-workers will laugh at him and bring him back to reality, unlike his students who wont for fear of a bad grade.
JoeC (McGruff)

Last edited by JoeC (McGruff) on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ward Churchill  One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld Empty Re: Ward Churchill One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld

Post  Mr. Pink Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm

agree with you 100% on this one Joe!

Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Mr. Pink
Good Fellow

Back to top Go down

Ward Churchill  One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld Empty Re: Ward Churchill One Dollar "Remedy" Upheld

Post  JoeC (McGruff) Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Its the right thing to do Mr. Pink.
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down