Legal hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NJ Family Leave Insurance Act

Go down

NJ Family Leave Insurance Act Empty NJ Family Leave Insurance Act

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:38 pm

All employees in NJ have started paying into this plan as of 1/1/09. Effective on 7/1/09 The Act allows for up to 6 weeks PAID leave for covered employees (which is pretty much everyone who works in the State) to Bond with a child or care for a family member with a serious health condition.

I nor my HR people have, as of yet ,been able to determine the % rate of payout for this plan. I would venture to guess that it would be a little less than the normal State STD payments would be as the pay-in % is less. I'm sure as we get closer to 7/1 these details will become available.

Link to the NJDOL&WD with more information;

http://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/fli/fliindex.html

This makes only the third state to offer such a program and hopefully more states will begin looking at this.

Back to top Go down

NJ Family Leave Insurance Act Empty Re: NJ Family Leave Insurance Act

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Upon further reading I finally saw this;

The weekly benefit rate for a first claim or re-established claim is based on the claimant’s average weekly wage. The average weekly wage is generally based on the earnings in the eight calendar weeks immediately before the week in which the family leave begins. The weekly benefit rate is two-thirds (2/3) of the average weekly wage up to a maximum of $546 for claims beginning July 1, 2009. The daily benefit rate is one-seventh (1/7) of the weekly benefit rate. The maximum amount of benefits payable for Family Leave Insurance is six weeks (42 days) during the 12 month period or one third (1/3) of the base year earnings, whichever is less.

And much to my suprise this new Act does not extend job protection any further than the current FMLA and NJFLA does, disappointing;

Family Leave Facts

- The Family Leave Insurance benefits program provides covered individuals Family Leave Insurance benefits, a monetary benefit, not a leave entitlement.
- The Family Leave Insurance benefits program does not establish the right of a covered individual to be restored to employment following a period of leave from work to participate in providing care for a family member who has a serious health condition or to bond with a newborn or newly adopted child. However, a covered individual’s job may be protected if the employer is subject to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or the New Jersey Family Leave Act (NJFLA).An employer can require an employee to use up to two weeks of any paid sick leave, vacation time, or other leave at full pay made available by the employer.

Back to top Go down