So many violations I am not sure where to put this one.

Go down

So many violations I am not sure where to put this one.

Post  JoeC (McGruff) on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 am

In McGruffs travels I found restaurant operators to be abominable managers in general: uniformed,unsophisticated,and often brutish in their treatment of employees. The pay stinks benefits are minimal ,and hiring fireing is arbitrary.

Management training if there is any,is rudimentary decision making is autocratic. I have seen plenty of poorly run business,but no where is the misery,and anxiety of the workers more intense then a badly run restaurant. They are almost as horrible as cbg the Nazi moderator at laborlawtalk.com.

It's an industry screaming Unionize me,and often someone does,unfortunately not enough. However in New Yorks swanky west side some employees found the courage.

In October, a federal judge awarded $4.6 million in back pay and damages to 36 delivery workers at two Saigon Grill restaurants in Manhattan, after finding blatant and systematic violations of minimum-wage and overtime laws.

Magistrate Judge Michael H. Dolinger of United States District Court in Manhattan found that Saigon Grill and the Ngets often did not pay their deliverymen for all the hours they worked and often made illegal deductions from their pay.

The judge found that the restaurants had paid $520 a month to many deliverymen who worked more than 260 hours each month. This meant that their pay came to less than $2 an hour, far less than the federal and state minimum wage. . . .

In the trial, the deliverymen, all immigrants from Fujian Province in China, testified that they were required to work 11 to 13 hours a day, usually six days a week. But their employers testified that the deliverymen had to work only at peak delivery times: 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Judge Dolinger found that the company had often illegally deducted pay, from $20 to $200, when deliverymen committed infractions like letting the restaurant door slam on their way out or failing to log in a delivery. The case covered wage violations from 1999 to 2007.

Last February, a judge with the National Labor Relations Board ruled that Saigon Grill had illegally fired 28 deliverymen nearly a year earlier and should reinstate them. The labor board judge found that the firings constituted illegal retaliation to punish the workers’ plans to file their lawsuit over wage violations.

The prosecution of the Ngets was led by the office of Andrew M. Cuomo, the state attorney general. An official in that office said the Ngets were charged with 151 counts of falsifying business records in the first degree with regard to wage violations, 45 counts of tampering with physical evidence and 46 counts of offering a false instrument for filing in the first degree.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21delivery.html
JoeC
JoeC (McGruff)
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum